Monday, March 3, 2014

The dilemma of the clean house!

I explain to people all the time that my house is never clean. Usually, they are so nice and respond back, "oh, I don't believe that" or "I am sure your house is clean". But, really it's not. It's not because I don't clean. I clean all the time, it just doesn't stay clean for very long. In reality it's because we LIVE here. We eat, we play, we dirty dishes, spill drinks, and make messes. I am more of a binge cleaner. Does that make sense? I clean everything one day and than I give myself a little break.(except dishes and laundry you never get breaks from) I am not very good and being a consistent cleaner. Cleaning up everything right after it happens (except for spills and obvious messes) and when we are done with something, putting dishes right into the dishwasher.... I am just not good at that sort of thing. (So, if someone has any really easy and good tips...I am open to them). I try to teach my kids to clean up one thing of toys before they get out another thing, but they all just dump different things out and it's all over the floor anyway. Besides, I heard someone say that cleaning the house while your kids are young is like shoveling the snow while it's still snowing! And if you are always shoveling then you are not playing with your kids in the snow! I think I like helping to make the mess more than I like cleaning it up.
This morning I woke up to an already messy house and I decided that I was going to clean, vacuum, and sanitize the whole upstairs.I started a little later than I thought I would because those unexpected messes that you have to clean up right away always happen before you can clean what you wanted to. This happened when Brigham was in the bathroom and yelled, "Mom!" That's always a nice way to start the morning.
Anyway, I then started with the pile of clean laundry that has been waiting to be folded for a couple of days. I finished the laundry and then cleaned most of the upstairs. I went downstairs to find that Silas had dumped out the dirty clothes in his hamper and had dumped out all the clean clothes in his drawers that I had just folded and put away! The clean and dirty were all mixed together. Ok, big breath, mama! Nope! Couldn't handle it! I got mad; but then I realized that this is what happens. It's ok, just let it go. It doesn't do anything to get mad. I quickly apologized to Silas and asked if he could help me put the clothes back. He responded very nicely and was a great helper. It really took no time at all. 
All in all, I really love a clean house, it makes me happy to be in a clean home, helps me feel comfortable when people come over, and gives me a boost of self esteem. However, when you do come over and it's not spick and span, know that I do my best, but I just can't shovel snow all the time while it's still snowing! Sometimes the snow piles up a little...I think that's ok. I was meant to do more than just clean. I saw a sign at Christmas time that said, "The house was clean yesterday...sorry you missed it!" I need to get me one of those signs! And by the way, I think I worry so much about this because when I see other people's houses, they are always clean and I think that I must be the only person in the world that does not have a spotless house. I know that is not true, but someday invite me over and just leave your house the way it is...I will be happy to know I am not the only one out there!

1 comment:

The Nay Family said...

Love this post, I feel exactly the same way! Thanks for Sharing Shar, I love reading your posts because I can totally relate. Makes me feel like I am normal. : )