Sunday, January 25, 2015

Prayers for Potty

I
So, this 3 1/2 year-old I have been wanting to potty train but he was just not interested. There is just no way to try with Silas if the interest isn't there because it's not going to happen. But when will the interest happen? 
So, I started to pray nearly every night for Silas to desire to be potty trained and that he can understand how is body works that way. One day he finally said, "Mom, I want to go potty." I was like "you want to go potty?!" He said, "yeah". So we got him settled on the potty. I noticed that he had a tiny bit of poop in his diaper and thought he must have more to do. So I bribed him with chocolate chips to sit there until something happened. Well, after a little while....he started to smile and looked at me and said, "it's working!" Sure enough! He got a small something out. 
Right after that he wanted to wear underwear. So I let him wear big boy underwear for the rest of the day. The amazing thing is that he kept his underwear dry and clean for the rest of the day. The wierd thing is that he never went pee; he only pooped small amounts the rest of the day. He went to bed with a diaper on and sure enough woke up with a very wet diaper. 
This day was Saturday and we let Silas wear underwear again. Well he had accident after accident after accident and by the end of the day he was crying that it was too hard and he wanted his diapers. "Oh great" I thought, "now it's going to be a long time before he wants to do this again". 
Sunday he wore diapers all day and was happy and comfortable with that. 
Monday morning as I was changing his first diaper, I asked if he wanted diapers or underwear. He chose underwear. I explained that wearing underwear means he has to sit on the potty a lot during the day and try to keep them dry and clean. He said, "ok". 
After he drank some apple juice and some water I was sure he would need to go potty. So I sat him on the potty and read stories to him for about a half hour with nothing happening. I was worried he didn't understand how to do it on demand. He sat down several different times and nothing worked. I kept praying over and over for him to be blessed with the understanding of how it worked. Finally at 1pm he said, "I think I need to go potty." I said, "ok you go and do it by yourself. Maybe you just need to be by yourself." He went in the bathroom and then I heard the tinkle of potty in the toilet! I was so excited and so grateful!!! I know Heavenly Father answered my prayers that day. The awesome thing is that was all it took. He has kept his underwear dry and clean every day this week. Hooray! I am so grateful for having him potty trained. Prayers are answered even when you pray for potty.