Sunday, April 5, 2015

Easter and Conference

I must confess something. I blurted out to my children that the Easter bunny is not real.  This last Monday I was helping Brigham with the family home evening lesson which was a lesson on the Atonement and resurrection of Jesus Christ. After we were done preparing,  Brigham asked if he should then talk about the Easter bunny.  I said immediately, "No, the Easter bunny is not real....easter is about Jesus,  not bunnies." I can't decide if I feel good or bad about that.  I do wish that there was more emphasis on the Savior instead of eggs and bunnies, although the belief of a child is something magical. (And now Silas is telling his cousin that the bunny is not real). I still don't know if that was a smart thing to do or not, but I hope everyone had a happy celebration that our Savior lives! After all, it was Elder Holland who said that "Easter is the most sacred day of the year." I hope to make it so in the coming years.

We had fun this week decorating eggs and sugar cookies, having an Easter egg hunt, searching for Easter baskets, having a wonderful breakfast with a great grandmother, enjoying being with family, and listening to the Prophet and Apostles speak to us.

I am so grateful for the opportunity we get to listen to counsel from inspired leaders. Today I am filled with love, hope, and gratitude.  I want to grow closer to my Savior. I want to be a better wife, mother, sister, friend,  daughter,  and visiting teacher. I know that my Savior lives and He loves us. I know that to have true happiness is by striving to become like the Savior and living His teachings. I hope to apply the things I learned today to be a better disciple of Jesus Christ.  I leave these thoughts in His name, amen.

1 comment:

Renae Weight Mackley said...

I still remember decorating egg cookies as a child. Yours look great. great family fun.sometimes you gotta go with what you think is best to say at the moment. you are a great mom. We love you.